Wednesday, September 10, 2008

English and Italian Sonnet

The English sonnet or Shakespearian sonnet is made up of  three quatrains and a couplet with the ryhme scheme of abab cdcd efef gg.
Example:

To Wordsworth by: John Clare

Wordsworth I love, his books are like the fields,
Not filled with flowers, but works of human kind;
The pleasant weed a fragrant pleasure yields,
The briar and broomwood shaken by the wind,
The thorn and bramble o'er the water shoot
A finer flower than gardens e'er gave birth,
The aged huntsman grubbing up the root--
I love them all as tenants of the earth:
Where genius is, there often die the seeds;
What critics throw away I love the more;
I love to stoop and look among the weeds,
To find a flower I never knew before;
Wordsworth, go on--a greater poet be;
Merit will live, though parties disagree!

The Italian sonnet or Petrarchan is composed of an octet, eight lines with a rhyme scheme of abbaabba, and a sestet, six lines of abcabc or ababab.
Example:
Italian Sonnet

Turn back the heart you've turned away
Give back your kissing breath
Leave not my love as you have left
The broken hearts of yesterday
But wait, be still, don't lose this way
Affection now, for what you guess
May be something more, could be less
Accept my love, live for today.

Your roses wilted, as love spurned
Yet trust in me, my love and truth
Dwell in my heart, from which you've turned
My strength as great as yours aloof.
It is in fear you turn away
And miss the chance of love today!

James DeFord

No comments: